M.S., 2000, Immersive Mediated Environments, Telecommunications
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN.
Masters Thesis: Art in the Digital Playground.
M.L.S., 1997, School of Library and Information Science, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
B.A. 1983, English Literature, Williams College, Williamstown, MA.
Areas of Technical Expertise:
|Fall, 2013-present||Associate Professor, Game Design and Development, Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT|
|Spring, 2015-present||Joint appointment, Associate Professor, Department of Medical Sciences, Frank Netter School of Medicine, QU|
|Spring, 2016||Visiting Lecturer, Yale University, New Haven, CT, teaching The Art of the Game with Federico Solmi, Johannes deYoung and Sarah Stevens-Morling|
|2/09-present||Founder and Director, Engender Games Group Lab,|
|1993-present||Founder and Director, Ardea Arts|
|1992-present||Historian, The Broadmoor Hotel and Resort, 1 Lake Ave. Colorado Springs, CO 80906|
|5/11-2013||Associate Professor, and Director, M.A. in Digital Game Design & Development C.W. Post Campus, Long Island University|
Associate Professor, Tenured (2009) Media Arts & Game Development,
University of Wisconsin, Whitewater.
Founder and Coordinator, annual PlayExpo (www.playexpo.org). Responsibilities include chairing committee, raising funds, organizing speakers, publicizing event, accepting submissions, finding judges, allocating prizes, and managing finances.
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Telecommunications, Indiana University at Bloomington
Assistant Director, MIME program in Game Design. Responsibilities included administrative duties, mentoring the circa 35 graduate students, serving on committees, public relations and fundraising.
Founder and Coordinator, annual IDEAS (Interactive Digital Environments, Art and Storytelling) Festival. Responsibilities include chairing committee, raising funds, organizing speakers, publicizing event, accepting submissions, finding judges, allocating prizes, and managing finances.
|8/00-5/01||Visiting Lecturer, Department of Telecommunications, IU Bloomington|
|1997-2000||Associate Instructor, Telecommunications Department, Indiana University at Bloomington|
|1991-1994||Part-time Lecturer in Romance Languages, Colorado College|
2014, Chapter: “Using Games to Teach, Practice, and Encourage Interest in STEM Subjects” published in Learning, Education and Games Volume One edited by Karen Shrier, ETC Press, Carnegie Mellon
2012, The Clitoris and the Joystick: Play, Pleasure and Power in Cyberspace, Elena Bertozzi, Atropos Press, New York (publication of my dissertation in book form)
2012 chapter: "Marking the Territory: Exploring Masculinities in Grand Theft Auto IV," Social Exclusion, Power and Video Game Play: New Research in Digital Media and Technology, edited by David G. Embrick, Talmadge J. Wright and Andras Lukacs, Rowman & Littlefield.
2011 excerpt: "You Play Like A Girl: Cross-Gender Competition and the Uneven Playing Field" in Gender, Race and Class in Media, 3rd Edition, edited by Jean Humez and Gail Dines, Sage Books.
(2015) Elena Bertozzi, Dilys Walker, Leonard Krilov, Carrie Rouse, Claudia Halaby, Melodi Pirzada, and Robert Lee, Health-Care Interventions with Games: A low-cost high-impact approach IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, July
(2014) Bertozzi, Elena, The Feeling of Being Hunted: Pleasures and Potentialities of Predation Play, Games and Culture, October.
(2013) Rouse, Caroline; Bertozzi,Elena; Villafuerte, Adriana; González Hernández, Dolores; Walker, Dilys. "Emergency birth!: piloting video game technology as a tool for training critical practices for maternal and neonatal survival among traditional birth attendants," American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
(2013) Bertozzi, Elena, Krilov, L., Walker, D., Rouse, C. Successful Game Development Partnerships between Academics and Physicians: Two Case Studies, International Journal of Gaming and Computer-Mediated Simulations (special issue on Ludica Medica)
(2013) Bertozzi, Elena. How to write a good SBIR/STTR grant proposal with a specific focus on gaming. IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine , April
2013, Alberto Casiraghy and the Pulcinoelefante Press Journal of Artists Books. Spring
2012, Bertozzi, Elena. Killing for Girls: Predation Play and Female Empowerment, Bulletin of Science, Technology, & Society special issue on video games. Volume 32 Issue 6 December 2012 pp. 444 - 451.
(2008) Bertozzi, Elena. "'I am shocked, shocked!': Taboo Breaking in Digital Gameplay" Loading...Journal of the Canadian Games Studies Association, Vol 1. 11/3
(2008) Bertozzi, Elena. "'You Play Like a Girl'--Cross Gender Competition and the Uneven Playing Field", Convergence, The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, 14(4) 473-487
(2007) Bertozzi, Elena, Lee, Seungwhan. Not Just Fun and Games: digital play, gender and attitudes towards technology. Women's Studies in Communication special issue on Exploring Gender, Feminism and Technology from a Communication Perspective. 30(2) (179-203), June.(2004) "Playing the Final: An experiment in pedagogy" The Ivory Tower Column, International Game Developers Association.
(2015) Claudia Halaby MD, Ann Mock RN, Melodi Pirzada MD, Elena Bertozzi PhD, Robert Lee DO, and Leonard Krilov MD, “Combining Entertainment and Education into an Age Appropriate Intervention Geared Toward Increasing Influenza Vaccination of Pediatric Patients” presented at: “DOing Pediatric Education Together: Keeping our Children Safe” conference Joint CME collaborative between the American College of Osteopathic Pediatricians (ACOP) and the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Osteopathic Pediatricians
(2015) Raluca Buzdugan, Reva Grimball, Sergio Bautista, Elena Bertozzi, Zafiro Andrade-Romo, Laura Chavira-Razo, Gabriel García-Plata, Tania Aramburo Muro, "Playing it safe: a game-based intervention to prevent HIV among young men who have sex with men in Mexico City" at the 8th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention, Vancouver, Canada
Broadmoor Memories: the History of the Broadmoor, 1993, 1999, 2003, 2008, Pictorial Histories, Missoula, Montana. This book was commissioned by the Broadmoor Hotel and Resort in 1991. Fourth edition with significant revisions published: March 2008.
Five of my artists books are listed in: Edizioni Pulcinoelefante Catalogo Generale, published by Libri Scheiwiller, Milan, 2005
Portion of the Broadmoor book was reprinted in Cheyenne Mountain: KIVA, summer 2004.
2014-present, Advisory Council, Center for Game and Simulation-Based Learning, Excelsior College 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, New York 12203
2011- present, Steering Committee (2014), International Game Developers Association Special Interest Group on Learning Games
2010-2011, Educational Advisory Board, Game Salad
2008 - 2011 Game Education Summit
2009-2011 IITSEC Serious Games Challenge
(2016) Invited Keynote for the Graduate Women in Engineering and Science annual meeting at Boston University. Talk title: An Unlikely Journey: How I got From Poetry to C#
(2015) Invited talk, Games (R)Evolution, Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica, Automatica e Gestionale, SAPIENZA Università di Roma, July 16
(2014) Invited talk on game development in partnership with healthcare providers at Alberto Borghese’s lab, Universita degli Studi, Milan, Dept. of Computer Science
2014, Live Science Op-ED: Playing it Forward: Videogames and Gamers Evolving
Attracting Females to a New Game Development Program, by Elena Bertozzi, Game Education Network, November 2008
Interviewed by Kym Buchanan for the Chrome Talk Monster, Frontier Life column, March 2004.
Conference Papers/ Panels/ Organization:
(2015), IEEE Games Entertainment Media Conference Chair, Toronto, Canada, October 14.
(2015) Panelist/ Workshop on game development, Connecticut Women's Hall of Fame launch of the STEMfems program at Pathways Magnet School, East Hartford, to promote careers for women in the sciences, September 30
(2015) Speaker, Low-Cost, High-Impact Game Interventions in Health Care, Games For Change, New York, April
(2014), IEEE Games Entertainment Media Conference Co-Chair, Toronto, Canada, October 24.
(2014), speaker, The Big Connect, Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce annual networking event. Talk entitled: “Gamification: How to retain, engage and reward your customers”
(2014) co-author of poster presentation of research results on deployment of the Flu Busters! game, at the Annual Attending/Faculty Research Day at Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY
(2014) Speaker: “Sex and Sexuality in Play: the Challenge of Building Games with Sensitive Topics”, at Games for Health Europe, Utrecht, the Netherlands.
(2013) Paper presentation: "Successful Game Development Partnerships between Academics and Healthcare Professionals", Games for Health Europe, Amsterdam.
(2013) Panelist, "The Changing Roles of Women as Producers, Consumers &Characters in the Game Industry", IEEE Games Innovation Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
(2013) "Killing for Girls: Predation Play and Female Empowerment," panel presentation, Rutgers Media Studies Conference: Extending Play, Piscataway, NJ, April 19, 20.
(2013) "Writing Grant Proposals For Commercially Viable Game Products" panel presentation, Game Developer's Conference, San Francisco, CA
2013, Co-Chair, Program Committee (with Samad Ahmadi and Ross Smith) IEEE International Games Innovation Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada
"Managing Clients, Organizing Teams and Building Games as Thesis Projects", panel presentation, Game Developer's Conference, San Francisco, March 2012
"Starting a Game Development Program" panel chair, Game Education Summit, Dallas, TX June, 2008
'You Play Like a Girl'--Cross Gender Competition and the Uneven Playing Field presented at Gamers in Society, University of Tampere, Finland, April 17-19th, 2007
"I am shocked, shocked: Explorations of Taboos in Digital Gameplay" ICA Conference, June, 2006, Dresden, Germany
"Just for the Fun of It: Predicting attitudes toward technology by examining gender differences in digital gameplay" by Elena Bertozzi and Seungwhan Lee, presented at the 2005 Women in Games Conference, University of Abertay, Dundee. Paper published in conference proceedings.
"Power Play: The Politics of Orgasm in Cyberspace" ICA Conference, May 2003, San Diego, CA
"Women and Play: Will She or Won't She,?" College Art Association, February, 2001, Chicago IL.
(2015) Visiting Artist presentation at the Yale School of Art on interactive storytelling and narrative games.
(2014) Conducted workshop: "Using Games to Educate, Inform and Modify Sex-related Behavior: Two Case Studies" at the Frank Netter School of Medicine, Quinnipiac University Interprofessional Education Seminar on Human Sexuality.
(2013) Conducted workshop entitled: "Pound your grant proposal into shape! A workshop on writing a good grant proposal with SBIR/STTR National Science Foundation as an example", IEEE Games Innovation Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
Presentation of the LIU Masters in Digital Game Development Program and discussion of academic game programs as preparation for a career in the game industry at the University of Torino, July 4, 2011. Streaming video (pc only).
Art as a Tool for Freedom, Teach-in This event was held at the Roosevelt Center in Middelburg, Netherlands and in other locations in May 2010. The event celebrated the anniversary of F.D. Roosevelt's Four Freedoms speech. There was a showing and discussion of the Proceed and Be Bold Documentary. I created an interactive art piece that combined the voices of the children and adults who participated with images of the groups at work.
Game Development and Distance Learning workshop, organized by WySys, UWW ORSP and Elena Bertozzi at UWW, fall 2009. I presented EGG lab projects, talked about the new curriculum and led a break-out session on games in academia.
Participant, Dual Commitment: This event took a group of artists and theorists around Austria to discuss current examples of public art projects: Linz, Vienna and Salzburg, August 2005
- (2015) Hot! Horny! Healthy! , a game to promote safe sex practices and educate players about HIV transmission, prevention and linkage to care.
- (2013)Flu Busters! a collaboration with Dr. Leonard Krilov and his team at Winthrop Hospital, Mineola, NY. The game is currently being deployed as part of a large study to see if the game will encourage flu vaccination in minority and lower income children.
- (2012)Atendiendo Il Parto in Casa : This expansion of the Emergency Birth Game is currently being field tested in rural Mexico. The game was funded by an NIH grant through the University of Washington. We are working with Drs. Carrie Rouse and Dilys Walker to create a game that specifially targets behaviors that lead to negative health outcomes for mothers and children under the care of midwives in rural Mexico.
- Emergency Birth! : Interactive tool to teach nursing students and rural midwives how to deliver a baby outside the hospital.
- Tex Walker's Fast-Pitch Softball Tutorial- Collaboration with Mike Schumacher, Elena Bertozzi, Matt Powers, Moutafue Yang, and Jon Sorenson, funded by the UWW Chancellor's office and the Wisconsin Technology Foundation, completed winter, 2009.
- The Frog Dating Game - Collaboration with Dr. Jeff McKinnon, Elena Bertozzi, Matt Powers and Moutafue Yang, Jon Sorenson, and Sean Diamond funded by the UWW Chancellor's office and the Wisconsin Technology Foundation, completed winter, 2009.
- Colored! Rosa Parks and the Demise of Jim Crow Collaboration with Jeff Herriot et al., Completed 2008
- "I am Lonely": The Solitary Frog's Lament. Frog Identification Game developed for Wisconsin High School Biology teachers by Bertozzi, E., Shanahan, K., Weisling, A. Haizel, Joe and, Gribb, G. (2008)
- A Love Letter to Kennedy : Piece which integrates analog love letters in a digital response, 2005
- Carbon Copies: Re-presentations of black dancers, Digital media incorporating hand carved and printed woodcuts of dancers, 2002.
- All about Eve -- a question and answer in about female sexuality which is a subset of the Way to O game. (www.ardeaarts.org/allabouteve.html)
- The Poet's Rosary -- interactive poetry piece incorporating many poet's readers and languages, exhibited summer 2002, Un Mondo Fantastico.
- The Way to Orgasm (drawings by cartoonist Nicole Hollander), This is the prototype for a larger game which approaches the topic of female sexuality with wit and irony, 2001
- CD-ROM digital portfolio for Tracy and Su Felix, 1998
- Womlisch Game design mock-up and trailer, 1998-99
- Digital portfolio for the CODA Gallery, Palm Desert, CA, May, 2000
- Euranusland game design document and playable demo, 1997
- 2010, Victoria Vlisides filmed and edited this short documentary on the quandry of love. She asked me for my opinion. Nice work Victoria.
Why I Teach
- 2009, Storybridge TV interviewed me for the UWW Why I Teach series. Video played on the UWW home page spring/summer 2009.
Proceed and Be Bold
- 2008, Director Laura Zinger directed and produced this documentary on my former partner and frequent collaborator, Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr. Interviews with me are a significant part of the film. I also assisted in organizing filming in Italy, was the translator for all of the subjects interviewed in Italy, and translated the transcript into Italian for the subtitles. The premiere was held in Chicago at Columbia University on May 9th, 2008. The film continues to grow in popularity and has been shown in venues across the U.S. and in Europe. See 20K Films for details.
Collaborated in the creation of content of numerous Nappygrams printed by Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr.
Passando il Sempione by Giuliano Crivelli, published by Grossi, 2009. This is book of watercolors and drawings of the famous Sempione Pass in northern Italy. Historical text translation into English by Elena Bertozzi.
Richard M. Nixon American Policy towards Europe and the Middle East 1969-70 by Pia Grazia Celozzi Balzelli, Translated by Elena Bertozzi. Author is seeking US publisher. Translation completed 2008
Artist's statement and biography for painter Giuliano Crivelli, 2005
Power Politics, Diplomacy, and the Avoidance of Hostilities between England and the United States in the Wake of the Civil War by Pia Celozzi Baldelli, translated by Elena Bertozzi,1998, footnotes translated by Cynthia Di Nardi Ipsen Edwin Mellen Press, Lewiston, New York.Numerous other articles and reports- -titles available upon request.
Artists Books (libraries ) and poster series:Amos Kennedy reprinted the Dance poster series (2013) with the texts I wrote in 2002. Each poster is different, these are some examples.
Come Le Balene text by Elena Bertozzi, typeset by Melaydra., Edizioni Pulcinoelefante**, Osnago, 2012.
Hunger text by Elena Bertozzi, typeset by Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr., Edizioni Pulcinoelefante**, Osnago, 2011.
Coffee text by Elena Bertozzi, Kennedy and Sons Fine Printers*, 2005
The Fold text by Elena Bertozzi, metals by James Obermeier, Edizioni Pulcinoelefante**, Osnago, 2003.
Shall We Dance? Six volumes, texts by Elena Bertozzi, woodcuts by Adriano Porazzi, Kennedy and Sons Fine Printers*, 2002
Dancing Ephemera, series of posters published in collaboration with Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr., Kennedy and Sons Fine Printers*, 2002
Fear and Trembling in Milan, graphic by Ryan Nole, Edizioni Pulcinoelefante**, Osnago, 2002.
Cryptic Clowns, text, by Elena Bertozzi published by Kennedy and Sons Fine Printers*, 2002
Digital Book, in collaboration with Alberto Casiraghi and Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr.; 2000, Edizioni Pulcinoelefante**, Osnago.
A Riddle, in collaboration with Alberto Casiraghi and Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr.; 1999, Edizioni Pulcinoelefante**, Osnago.*Libraries that have standing orders for all work produced by Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr. include: Special Collections at Emory University, University of California at Santa Barbara and the University of North Carolina. Individual pieces appear in special collections throughout the country. **Alberto Casiraghi's Pulcinoelefante Press is known throughout the world as an author, illustrator and publisher of artist's books.
- Panel reviewer for the National Science Foundation Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR) Programs 2010-present (2011, 2 panels, 2012, 3 panels, 2013, 2 panels, 2014, 2 panels, 2015, 1 panel)
- Reviewer, Choice Magazine: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, American Library Association, 2011- present
- External Reviewer for new program in Interactive Digital Media and Marketing, College of Westchester, White Plains, NY, 2015,
- IEEE award judge, Connecticut Science and Engineering Fair, March 13, 2014, March, 2015
- Poster Judge, Neuron Conference, Frank Netter School of Medicine, Quinnipiac University, February, 22, 2014.
- Member, International Choice Awards Network (ICAN) which votes on awards granted at the Game Developers Conference. (2013 and 2015)
- External Reviewer for new program in Web Development, College of Westchester, White Plains, NY, 2012,
- Reviewer, Communication, Culture & Critique, 2011-2012,
- Reviewer/Editorial Board, G.A.M.E.: GAMES AS ART, MEDIA, ENTERTAINMENT Journal, University of Udine (Italy), 2011
- Reviewer, Feminist Scholarship Division, ICA, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Reviewer, Game Division, ICA, 2009, 2010
- External reviewer for the Digital Arts and Design program at Dakota State University, Spring, 2010
- Reviewer, Cambridge University Press, game text 2009-
- Reviewer, New Media and Society 2006-
- Juror, student exhibition of art work by students at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, April, 2006
- Referee, Gender/Play paper for the Journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. November, 2005
- Reviewer, 100 Videogames Proposal, British Film Institute, 2005
- Reviewer, Media Now: Communications Media in the Information Age by Joseph Straubhaar and Robert LaRose, Wadsworth Publishing, Thomson Learning 2002
(2014) Grant-In-Aid, for faculty scholarship, Quinnipiac College of Arts and Sciences, to fund travel to San Francisco to meet with physicians and medical students collaborating with the EGG lab on a grant proposal to fund the game: Pick Me Honey- A Game to help Women Select the Most Appropriate Form of Birth Control (funded).
(2014) In collaboration with Sergio Bautista of the Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública and Raluca Buzdugan, UC Berkeley, awarded a $100,000 Gates Challenge in Global Health grant aimed at modifying behaviors in homosexual male at-risk populations in Mexico City.
(2012-13) EGG lab is a subawardee in Dr. Krilov's grant from Pfizer on improving health choices (given that there is an NDA in place, more info not available).
(2011-13) Participant in Dr. Rouse's proposal to the National Institute of Health for deployment of the Emergency Birth! game in rural Mexico to train midwives (funded).
(2011) Submission of proposal for expansion of Emergency Birth! to Delivery: Sometimes it's Complicated game to Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. (proposal not funded)
(2010) Undergraduate Research Grant (with students Carolyn Costa, Christine Moa and Domenique Malone) to create a Virtual Tour of the UWW campus. (funded for $1,200)
(2010) Individual grant writing assistance in support of a Phase 1 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Pioneer Grant from WiSys Technology Foundation (funded for $750)
(2010) UW Committee on Baccalaureate Expansion grant proposal entitled: Bridging the Gap: Enabling Community College student Transfer to UWW. (funded for $63,871)
(2010) UWW Strategic Initiatives Grant proposal to develop a game to teach nursing and students how to deliver a baby without a doctor: Emergency Birth! at the EGG (Engender Games Group) Lab. (funded, for $18,000)
(2010) NSF grant submission with Dr. Ed Fredricks, Losing Like a Girl (3rd attempt, not funded (teeth gnashing)
(2010) Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin Appropriations Request for EGG lab initiatives (pending)
(2010) Advanced Research and Technologies Grant proposal to develop Emergency Birth Proceedures Game. (not funded)
(2010) Summer Faculty Fellowship Grant proposal to develop skill set in non-Flash interactive media (thank you Steve Jobs). (not funded)
(2009) UWW Strategic Initiatives Grant proposal to develop an EGG (Engender Games Group) Center where student work can be developed into commercially viable products and then marketed. (partially funded)
(2009) Advanced Research and Technologies Grant proposal to develop three faculty/student/client collaborations into marketable, licensable products. Spring 2009, funded for $30,000.
(2008) Proposal included in the UWW College Priorities and the Federal Priorities Binder for a Game and Interactive Media Program at UWW as part of the Growth Agenda. (pending)
(2008) Summer Undergraduate Research Grant Proposal: "I am Lonely"-The Single Frog's Lament, Purpose is to develop an educational game to teach Wisconsin high school students about frogs in the state of WI. (funded for $10,000).
(2008) Proposal for a Game and Interactive Media Program at UWW as part of the Baccalaureate Expansion Program.
(2008) Proposal: Losing Like A Girl - Examining The Implications Of Gendered Play Norms On Outcomes When Males And Females Are Competing For Scarce Resources to the National Science Foundation Division of Social and Economic Sciences. Grant application was resubmitted for second review (under revision)
(2007) Proposal included in the UWW College Priorities and the Federal Priorities Binder for a Game and Interactive Media Program at UWW as part of the Growth Agenda. (pending)
(2007) Proposal: Colored! Rosa Parks and the Demise of Jim Crow College of Arts and Communication Minigrant (funded for $300)
Awarded Visiting Artist Grant to fund Dr. Thom Kevin Gillespie's lecture and workshop, 2006
Mini Grants, College of Arts & Communication, 2006, $300 award towards funding Play with Your Multimedia II
2nd Round Professional Development Grant, 2006, 2007
Honors and Awards:
- Beta Phi Mu Honor Society, Inducted, 1997
- Communication Department Excellence in Teaching Award, (2007)
- Communication Department Excellence in Research Award (2008)
- Communication Department Excellence in Service Award (2009)
- College of Arts & Communication Excellence in Research & Creative Activity Award (2010)
Competitions:Emergency Birth!, a game to train non-medical professionals how to deliver a baby outside of a medical facility won a Silver Medal at the 2011 International Serious Play Conference game competion.
"I am Lonely": The Solitary Frog's Lament by Bertozzi, E., Shanahan, K., Weisling, A. Haizel, Joe and, Gribb, G. (2008) finalist in the Student Game category of the Serious Game Challenge and Showcase. Presented at the iitsec.org conference in Orlando, FL Dec. 2008
- February 19, 2016, guest on the Law, Life and Culture show hosted by Betsy Kim.
- January 22, 2015, E-Commerce Times published my comments re. Zoe Quinn’s Crash Override.
- June 8, 2015, quoted in Telecom Live issue on Gamfication.
- Quoted in IEEE Game History, which appeared on nearly 100 different news sites, including MarketWatch.
- Coverage of my Games for Change talk .
- Interviewed (one hour) about applied games on David Levine’s A Kind Voice radio show.
- Interviewed about the new Merge headset .
- Interviewed about game programs (http://www.schools.com/online-colleges/game-design).
- Interviewed by the Connecticut I-heath team .
- EFYtimes.com article on gamification
- December 14, Cornell Wright at the New Haven Register wrote a column about my gamification talk entitled: “Concepts of Gaming Translate Well to Business”
- October 18, 2014, Hoboken Pudding publishes a summary of our book launch panel
- June, 19, 2014, Interviewed by Patrick Skahill on WNPR about the MSM safe sex game.
- June 12, 2014, Interviewed by Steve Savino on WQUN about the Engender Games Group and getting the Gates Foundation Challenges in Global Health with Sergio Bautista and Raluca Buzdugan.
- May 16, 2014, Interviewed on Warren Olney's, To the Point show on Public Radio International.
- May 14, 2014, authored oped on LiveScience, Playing it Forward: Videogames and Gamers Evolving
- May 7, 2014, interviewed by Monica Rosenfeld for piece in the IEEE Spectrum, Gaming in the Workplace.
- March 10, 2014, interviewed on the Brian Lehrer Show (brianlehrer.tv) re. gamification and serious games.
- April, 2014, cited in three Brazilian newspapers on trends in gamification: Oglobo, OTempo and Gazeta.
- The news story about the Flu Busters game was rebroadcast on NBC affiliates across the country. Here is the version that aired in Boston.
- NBC NYC Channel Four did a great story on the Engender Games Group collaboration with Winthrop Hospital on Flu Busters, January 30, 2013.
- Article about student work, Queens Courier, January 17 2013.
- The Geek Mom blog at Wired.com published a piece on the LIU program and games designed by two female grad students
- Ashley Miller summarizes the You Play Like A Girl article.
- Newsday put the PlayExpo and an article about the work created by LIU Digital Game Design and Development students on the front cover of the Explore section. April 9, 2012.
- An image of my Cryptic Clown book and a mention of the Colored: Rosa Parks and the Demise of Jim Crow appeared in the article "The Gospel According to Amos", American Craft Magazine, December/January 2012
- Cited by Lynda Lopez in the article "These Girls Have Games", Chicago RedEye, September 29, 2011.
- Michael Clish of WFAW invited me to discuss the Wisys grant award and MAGD curriculum on his radio show, January 4, 2010, (podcast).
- Wisys Technology Foundation featured me in their December 2009 newsletter "Discoveries and the People Making Them".
- 4/12/09, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Online: "UW-Whitewater lets designers show they've got games" http://www.jsonline.com/features/technology/42765357.html
- 4/8/09, The Royal Purple, "Film espousing family meals to feature campus instructor" by Alyssa Skiba:
- 4/4/09, WKOW TV Madison Channel 27, "UW-Whitewater students hope to play for pay", http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10131370&nav=menu1362_2
- Cover photo and article, Whitewater Alumni Magazine, Feburary, 2009
- Stories on the inclusion of the "I Am Lonely" game in Serious Games Challenge appeared:
- TV news story and interview, Channel 27, Madison, Broadcast November 12, 2008
- 11/23/2008 "UWW Video Game a Finalist" by Anna Marie Lux, Janesville Gazette
- 12/1/2008 "Frog Mating Merely A Game For Students" by Deborah Ziff, Wisconsin State Journal (http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/wsj/2008/12/01/0812010002.php)
- 11/09/08 "Professor, student-made computer game makes national impact" by Andrea Budde, Royal Purple
(2009) Colored: Rosa Parks and the Demise of Jim Crow was exhibited during SOHO in Ottakring, a two-week open studio show in the Ottakring neighborhood of Vienna.
(2009) Colored: Rosa Parks and the Demise of Jim Crow was performed as part of the Symphonic Wind Ensemble Concert, April 26, Young Auditorium UWW.
(2008) My work and pieces from my collection were exhibited in Graphic Novels, Zines and Comix: From Hogarth to Robert Crumb. February 21- March 30, Crossman Gallery, UW Whitewater
(2007) Curated and Exhibited work in, Manifesti dall'Alabama, Kennedy poster show at Il Foglio, Via Bisceglie, 74, Milan Italy, July 17.
(2007) Curated the first Alabama Photobook Exhibition, Mobile Arts Council, 318 Dauphin St., Mobile, November, 2007
(2007) Cash and Carry, Poster Exhibition, Lyons Gate Gallery, Fairhope, AL. Exhibtion of Amos Paul Kennedy Jr.'s work including several posters by Elena Bertozzi.
(2005) Participant, 2005 FILE Electronic Language Festival, Sao Paolo, Brazil. A Love Letter to Kennedy was accepted as part of the 2005 festival exhibition
(2002) Un Mondo Fantastico: Arte Contemporanea in Cameri, group show of artists, poets and painters, sponsored by the Arts Council of Cameri Italy, June 2002
(2002) Dancing Ephemera : October 4 -- December 20, Amos Paul Kennedy's exhibit of posters with texts by Elena Bertozzi, at the Center of Contemporary Arts, St. Louis Missouri.
Web Sites: Please see urls at www.ardeaarts.org
- Broadmoor Hotel and Resort. 1996 - 1999
- collaboration with Sheau Hui Ching.
- TagStudio website, graphic design by Ching, 1997
- Center for Dental Wellness, graphic design by Ching, 1997
- Indiana Department of Telecom, with Kaylnn Brower, 1998
- PowderMeister, graphic design by Ching, 1999
- TAG Studio website, graphic design by Adam Thompson, 2003
- Center for Dental Wellness web site, 2003
- TAG Signature web site, graphic design by Soontira Sutanont, 2004
- PowderMeister animation, graphics by Soontira Sutanont, 2004
- PowderMeister website, graphics by Soontira Sutanont, 2005
- Visual Dentistry web site and animations, 2005
- Kennedyprints.com, 2006, 2010
- Sleepindiana.com, 2007
- Vernazzaroom.com, 2007. 2010
- uww.edu/games, 2007, revised new name and content, 2009
- Playexpo.org, 2008, revised, 2012
- b-bgreen.com, 2012
- IEEE GEM Conference in Toronto, 2014
Revised and created new syllabi for classes in the Quinnipiac GDD curriculum:
- 2012, Developed more courses for LIU DGDD Masters Curriculum
- 2011, Revised and modified proposed curriculum for the new Masters in Game Design and Development at Long Island University
- 2011, developed three new graduate classes for fall 2011 and three new graduate classes for spring 2012 at LIU:
- ACINDP 150 Introduction to Multimedia
- MAGD Flash Development (Interactive Design with Flash)
- MAGD 487-488 Advanced Team Projects - two semester sequence
- 352 Game Development: Theory and Practice
- Independent Studies and Internships developing interactive media for businesses and organizations or developing mods and levels for complex games.
- MAGD 490 Workshop in Writing for Interactive Media
Service at Quinnipiac University
- 2014-17, Capstone Mentor for medical students John Huston and Lanre Udu
- 2013- present, Member, Diversity Committee
- 2013- present, Member, Service Learning Committee
- 2013-2014 Member, Game Design and Development Search Committee
- 2014, DEC for Courtney Marchese
- 2014, DEC for Charmaine Banach